Friday 13 December 2013

You win some. You lose some


This blog post is just about the past few weeks that have had some highlights and then some differences. Firstly, I want to talk about house mates. Its no secret that some house mates are better than others and it sucks that we can’t pick and choose who we want to live with – but that’s just the way the cookie crumbles. Our house is actually pretty good, we get along, clean after ourselves and we live with Scott who came with us from Aus!! There is just one house mate who isn’t really a team player or a nice person. It wasn’t so bad until his girlfriend decided to move in as well (not really allowed) and now we have two negative people in the house who are loud and not do any basic chores. But hey, we just need to keep our fingers crossed that they decide to get a couple room and will move the hell out!!!!

I think we really lucked out with everyone else though!! We have Dave who is just so chilled, likes being social, always fun and positive and really is great for a good or stupid conversation! He also conducts funny little experiments that always turn out awesome. One, for example, was wrapping a warm can of beer or soft drink/pop in a paper towel, running it under water and putting it in the freezer, 5 minutes later, it’s at that perfect cold temperature to drink. Ironically, putting the can outside in this -30 degree cold would probably do the same thing. But yes Dave is heaps awesome, not to mention he also put up with and did not correct Colin when he was calling him Matt for a couple of days.

We also had Alan, our Canadian. He is definitely one of a kind! He was always fun to have around  the house to talk to and go out with. I think you have probably noticed the past tense. Well Alan was with us for just over a month I think, and then the smart cookie was promoted into an accounting position! GO ALAN!!! So he’s been moved to a single room to the apartment below us. Its lucky for us that we still get to hang with him in our group of friends.

And so, we now have a new house mate!! You see, we are at max capacity at Charleston and the late starting staff are at the Great Divide Lodge or the Stables which is hard on them! Less buses, further away and cramped. I was a bit nervous to see who it was, I am the only girl in a house full of men, so I really didn’t want some ass hole to move in. I was over the moon when I found out it was Archie! I met Archie in the common room a week or so ago, we had a random drunken conversation about art. The best thing is, he’s a kiwi!!! The gorgeous New Zealand accent will always make me smile but Archie is also such a fun loving, care free, relaxed kind of person!!! Makes me so happy to have such a lovely person living with us!

Finally, we have Scott. I don’t think we have talked about him much in the past on our blog. So Colin went to high school with Scott and has been friends with him for a long time. I have known Scott for about 4 years now. Colin and I had already started planning our trip to Canada when we invited Scott. To take the adventure with us. Its so good having a piece of home with us.

So that’s what’s been going on in apartment 304, but there was another thing I wanted to share. The other week I had the awesome opportunity to decorate Lake Louise Ski Resort for Christmas! We have a giant Christmas tree in the Lodge of Ten Peaks, fairy lights in Whiskey Jack and then bits and pieces of sparkly Christmas spirit everywhere in between. One of the downfalls of my magical day however was my work jacket being stolen along with my phone and my bank card. I would like to clarify that when say stolen, I mean, I took my jacket off, put it near the decorations and my drink on a table, went up a ladder to staple gun decorations up high on an architrave to find my jacket gone when I came down.

My first instinct was to check if one of my colleges had borrowed it, but unfortunately no one did.  I was very thankful to have my manager Ben around, he helped me look everywhere for it, file a ‘missing’ report and asked all the managers of different departments to keep their eyes open for it. After a little cry, all I could do was work. A few days had passed and nothing. I had to cancel my phone and bank card and file a police report. I am really shocked and sad someone decided to nick a jacket with my $800 phone. So yes people, even in the nice town of Lake Louise in the sweet country of Canada, things still get stolen.

So there you have it, you win some and you lose some. Its life though, you always need the bad to make you appreciate the good. I am so lucky to have my amazing man Colin to help me through some of the more stressful times and then also to bitch with haha. I just keep remembering that I am doing something amazing and am living in one of the most beautiful winter wonderlands in the world!

J

No comments:

Post a Comment